5.01 – Yes, Then Zero
This week on Gossip Girl we got a taste of both LA and New York. Serena seemed to be having a fun summer but her boss did not like having her around. Nate is having more fun being someone other than himself. Chuck is saying yes to anything and everything which sometimes puts him in danger and caused Zoe Bell to tell Chuck Bass that he needed help. Dan is upset about a chapter of his book being published into Vanity Fair and calls on Louis for help. But things get a little out of hand when Blair is willing to call off her engagement based on a untruth that Dan could fix. And Blair is busy trying to plan her wedding but she’s learning living the royal life isn’t always a fairytale especially when it comes to Princess Sophie and Louis. And that whole pregnancy shocker finally comes to ahead with Dorota and Blair both with child? Could it really be true?
• Chuck back to his old ways with twins.
• Dan writing something scandalous about Queen B, or not!
• Dorota being very protective of Blair by blocking Gossip Girl blasts so Blair won’t find out what’s going around.
• Chuck discovering the wedding invite makes him become an adrenaline junkie.
• Marshall setting Serena up by making her buy medicinal pot for Patrick which is surely to get her fired.
• Chuck riding a motorcycle like it is no big deal wanting to do major stunts, he ended up getting hurt. Plus he ends up hiding his injury.
• Serena’s boss thinking she can’t handle her job. Thinking she is just another pretty rich girl.
• Blair testing Louis to see if he will stand up to his mother. If he failed, she was ready to call off her engagement. Just. Like. That.
• Blair was quick to think Louis was lying to her when he didn’t pick her up for the General Assembly speech. Blair told to Louis: “We know how you honor the promises you make, except to me.”
• Dan focusing on riding off into the sunset with Blair instead of telling her the truth about why Louis actually stood her up. All because he spent the summer developing real feelings for our favorite Waldorf.
• Eleanor thinking Blair is pregnant because she found a book. She looks relived when it’s revealed Dorota is really the pregnant one.
• Diana playing into Nate’s game of yes and sleeping with him just to make a contact for future business.
• The seamstress calling Blair out on her pregnancy. Apparently seamstress lady knows pregnancy and six month pregnant measurements. “Lie to me if you want but your body will be telling the whole world the truth by your wedding.”
• Ivy in LA with her boyfriend and lying to him about she got the cash to move.
• Jenny and Eric are London together in post-Gossip Girl bliss.
• Blair and Louis arguing over wedding planning. This is a completely normal and real thing. No one escapes petty fights while planning a wedding, not even a royal.
• Eleanor: “A civil service and a religious ceremony? Who’s ever heard of such a thing? Our guest will be sitting longer than a Terrence Malick movie.” So sweet because it’s so true Eleanor. Glad to see Eleanor is getting involved in the wedding planning. Can Harold show up now?
• There are a lot of unrealistic things that happen in Gossip Girl world, but the one that this is true is how Louis doesn’t want to stand up to his mother. Royals have a strong legacy and it’s not about not standing up for Blair, it’s about showing respect for his family history. But he could have spoken up just a little.
• Blair and Serena have remained close over the summer. “Same time tomorrow. Today you did me, so we can do you.” – Blair
• Louis loves to break all of the rules for Blair. Blair isn’t a royal so she can’t go to Louis’ uncle’s speech at the General Assembly, but he’s willing to break the rules to make Blair happy. But does she deserve his kindness?
• Louis stands up for Blair by blocking the chapter of Dan’s book that was going to run in Vanity Fair.
• There’s a new Serena on the block. Instead of letting shutting down the movie, she takes the blame for giving Patrick the pot. She really has turned from “it-girl to working girl in 3000 miles.”
• Dan and Blair are still friends and she goes to him when she needs help the most. Too bad he did a really bad thing by not telling her the truth. Can they ever really be friends now?
• Season 5 brings a whole new Chuck. He’s spreading words of wisdom around the whole episode. “It’s not a substance; it’s a state of mind. A word.” And even told Serena she should go after what she wants in life and Nate should allow himself to be happy and do something with his life. We’re glad that someone finally told Nate to do something because he’s been pretty stagnant the past few years.
• Serena’s boss giving her a second chance by extending her job beyond The Beautiful and Damned. Serena decides to stay in LA for a job. What will happen to the UES girl power combo? And how will Blair deal?
• Louis stands up against family tradition to prove his love for Blair by giving her peonies for photo shoot with French Vogue.
So Not Real
• Do Blair and Louis actually show affection? They just don’t seem to have the chemistry of another couple, right?
• Is Dan really that upset about Blair getting married? Could he really have developed feelings for Blair like that over the summer. Gossip Girl had some wise words to share with us:” Lonely boy learning three words, eight letters don’t come out right when no one wants to hear them.” Is Dan really ready to save those three words?
• Chuck Bass is golden to us, but does everyone know who Chuck Bass is, even in LA?
• Did Dan and Blair do more than kiss? Because he’s kind of implying something more happened.
• Chuck Bass is a natural thrill seeker. Even though he says he’ll “try anything once even happiness”, isn’t that who Chuck Bass has always been. Isn’t Chuck Bass always the character that goes there without any hesitation? How is this any different? Because he’s getting more dangerous?
• Nate doesn’t need permission to buy medical marijuana; we all know that he has a dealer.
• Are we really supposed to believe Dan and Blair didn’t talk all summer? When she left they were syncing up queues to watch movies. There had to be some type of contact, especially for Dan to “fall” so hard.
• Is it just us or can you tell that Chuck Bass is not really ready to move on past Blair? Let’s not pretend like all the things he is doing is because he lost Blair.
• Isn’t Serena in California because she was visiting CeCe? Did Ivy really think her path would never cross with Rhodes family again? And why hasn’t someone noticed that she’s taken the money yet? Carol isn’t keeping watch over that money she wanted/needed so badly.
Music From The Episode:
Shuffle A Dream by Little Dragon
- played when Chuck was riding is motorcycle back to the boat to meet Serena and Nate.
Houdini by Foster The People
- played at the hollywood party
Kill Me by The Girl Dance
- played when Nate was giving Diane a tour of his “house”.
Headin’ Inside by Surf City
- played when Chuck wipes out on his motorcycle
The Freeworld by The Uglysuit
- played when Chuck tells Serena and Nate they need to start taking care of themselves and no one else.
My Pet Shakes by Jenny and Johnny
- played when Nate goes to see Diane to get his phone.
The Future Will Destroy You by Viva Voce
- closing montage
Written by Deb and Angela
Photo Credit: The CW